Thursday, January 7, 2010

Can you wash feather pillows, or do they need to be dry cleaned?

My mom has a feather pillow that she uses on the couch, and it's gotten a tad smelly from the use, and the cats laying on it.Can you wash feather pillows, or do they need to be dry cleaned?
Care and Storage of Your Pillow





Use a Pillow Protector


Pillows should be covered with pillow protectors in addition to decorative pillowcases. These protectors, which often have a zipper closure, provide you an additional layer between the pillow and a pillowcase.





Washing


If the pillow you have selected is machine washable (check the care label), please follow these easy steps:





Wash with a mild detergent on a warm water/gentle setting


After the wash cycle is complete, rinse the pillow 2 additional times (to rid the pillow of any soap that may still be in the pillow. Then spin the pillow two additional times (to rid the pillow of excess water.)


Dry the pillow completely on a low heat setting. For pillows with internal chambers, you may need to dry the pillow for four to six hours. Between cycles, remove the pillow and hand fluff. Note that pillows may still be damp inside even when they feel dry to the touch. Any lumps or clumps of fill indicates dampness; continue to dry until you are sure there is no moisture left in your pillow.


Between washings, the pillow can be refluffed on an air fluff setting in the dryer. Include a couple of clean tennis balls and a fabric softener sheet for extra fluff and a fresh smell. =)





Scroll down to pillows for more info...Can you wash feather pillows, or do they need to be dry cleaned?
I believe you can wash them they just can not be put in the dryer. My mom washes her feather down blankets all the time, then hangs them to dry outside (when it is not raining).
dry cleaned- same with down comforters
yes you can wash them.just be sure to dry well in the dryer with some tennis balls.it helps to put them in the sun for a while.....
I got this feather pillow from my M-I-L when I was a new bride. I hated it .


the feathers kept sticking my eyes and my cheek :(


I threw it in the washer. some feathers fell out. Happily,


I threw it in the dryer with a tennis shoe ! :)


I must have dried that damn thing for 2 hours


it only lost about a cupful of feathers :(


I am still washing that pillow 2wice a year. and that was 20 years ago. :(


secretly...I think she keeps replacing it every 2 or 3 years..


or is it common for yellow stripes to turn into blue stars???
Okay I work in the drycleaning industry and I know you can wash a feather pillow just make sure that you put it in the dryer and let it dry all the way. When you pull it out of the dryer for the first time smell it, if it smells at all mold-like then keep drying it.
I would not wash it. I did that once to one of my husbands feather pillows and we had to throw it out. have it dry cleaned.
You can wash them at home even though I'm sure the label will tell you not too. Just make sure that the pillow is well sewn up (no holes or loose seams etc) as the last thing you want is an explosion of feathers in your washing machine! Also, make sure that it is completely dry before you bring it back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment